The desire for a beautiful white Hollywood smile is big business these days. But did you know there are simple very inexpensive whitening methods which can be achieved by simply using common household products and food items you probably purchase every week?
- Strawberries and baking soda might not sound very appetizing but can work wonders when it comes to whitening teeth. Mash up four or five strawberries, mix in a small amount of baking soda then using a fresh toothbrush, dip the brush in the mixture and brush over the front of the teeth. Let sit for approximately five minutes and rinse.
- No strawberries? No problem. Just add some hydrogen peroxide to your baking soda. Stir until the mixture reaches paste consistency, apply to the teeth and then brush as usual. This is also a great breath freshener and anti-bacterial agent.
- We’ve all heard about the health benefits of coconut oil and now many experts are touting the effects of using this oil after brushing to eliminate staining. Coconut oil can be applied by several different methods, including swishing a small amount around in your mouth or applying to a cotton swab and rubbing on each tooth.
- Naturally whiten your teeth through the foods you eat. By selecting saliva producing snacks like apples, carrots and pears you’ll have more saliva to rinse away the bacteria causing plaque which can cling to the tooth surface, allowing it to become stained.
- Try brushing with apple cider vinegar first before brushing with your regular toothpaste. This method will take about a month before you begin to see results and you do need to rinse thoroughly so the acid doesn’t damage your tooth enamel.
Even though these natural whitening options are low cost, they do take some time and preparation. The easiest and quickest way to whiten your teeth is through our professional whitening program at Ellis Dental. Please call 314.965.1334 for more information or to schedule an appointment today.