Many people don’t floss because they simply aren’t sure how to do it correctly. We here at Ellis Dental understand and want to help. Begin following these easy and simple steps and soon you’ll be flossing like a pro. And then you won’t have to evade that routine question we always ask at your bi-yearly appointment, “Are you flossing every day?”
- Start by purchasing the correct type of floss. If your teeth are close together and the floss snags or breaks when being used, select waxed floss or one that is specifically marketed for this problem.
- The American Dental Association has taken the stance it doesn’t matter if you floss before or after you brush, just as long as you do it once a day using the correct flossing method.
- Using 18 inches of floss, wrap the strand around both middle fingers and then grasp between 1 to 2 inches of the floss between your index finger and thumb.
- Gently maneuver the floss between two teeth in a see-saw motion. It doesn’t matter where you start, just as long as you give equal attention to all of them.
- It is very important to angle the floss correctly to ensure you are getting it slightly below the gum line. Form the shape of a “C” to properly hug the tooth.
- As you continue to floss slowly unwind the clean floss from one side of your finger and wind the used section onto the other finger.
Need some assistance to ensure you are flossing correctly? Please don’t hesitate to ask Lore or Denise for hands on instructions along with helpful tips next time you are in for your regular cleaning