Some tips for eating heathy during the summer while the kids are home
School is out for the summer and the kids are spending their days at camp, hanging out around the pool or just playing in the backyard with friends. No matter what their summer schedule, one thing is for sure, they are going to constantly be hungry. Instead of stocking the cupboards with high-fat processed foods, try these healthy alternatives.
- You can easily and inexpensively pick up packages of baby carrots and bags of already sliced up broccoli and cauliflower in the produce aisle. Then cut up a couple of cucumbers and a bag of radishes, portion out small lidded cups of reduced-fat ranch dressing and store everything together in the refrigerator or pack in a small cooler depending on the day’s activities.
- Then do the same thing with apple slices and bananas, just substitute peanut butter for the ranch dressing. Freeze grapes the night before for a cool and refreshing treat; plus depending on what else is being packed, this can take the place of an ice pack in the cooler.
- Salty treats can still be a part of a healthy diet, just serve in moderation. Low sodium pretzel rods can be dipped in peanut butter. Pita chips pair perfectly with flavored hummus and don’t forget about air-popped popcorn. Pop up a big batch and offer a wide variety of flavorful toppings.
- Instead of ice cream, fill the freezer with healthy all-natural fruit bars and low-fat fudge bars. Freeze peeled bananas and serve with melted dark chocolate. Or look in your grocer’s freezer for bananas and strawberries already pre-dipped.
- Add salsa and low-fat shredded cheese to a mini corn tortilla. Pop in the toaster oven until the cheese is melted. This is a filling snack that is easy and healthy.
Ellis Dental is here for all your summer dental emergencies. Take a minute and program our telephone number, 314.965.1334 into your cell phone today. We’re always here when you need us.