If you’re like the majority of us at the beginning of the New Year you make resolutions concerning your physical health such as stopping smoking, beginning an exercise program and eating healthier. But what about your dental health? Experts say it only takes 21 days to form a habit so if you begin taking better care of your teeth today, by the end of the month these important tips will already be a part of your daily routine.
- Begin flossing once a day. There aren’t any hard and fast rules concerning the best time of the day to floss; just make sure you allot enough time to do the job properly.
- Limit sweets and starches. This might already be part of your losing weight resolution but did you know foods which contain large amounts of either or both can cause a greater build-up of plaque? If allowed to remain on and around the teeth, plaque causes gum irritation which can eventually lead to gum disease and possibly even tooth loss.
- Eat more fruits and vegetables. Fruits like apples and watermelon have higher water content which helps to wash away the natural sugars before they can turn into plaque. Plus the roughness of a carrot stick, apple slice or broccoli floret acts as a natural toothbrush, gently scrubbing away that nasty plaque causing bacteria.
- Remember the importance of both protein and calcium to help strengthen tooth enamel. Replace those sweet donuts and greasy chips with nuts. Add more lean protein such as skinless chicken, baked instead of fried. Substitute whole milk with the low or non-fat variety.
- Start the year out right by picking up the phone and scheduling your bi-yearly dental appointments. It is so important to see your dentist on a regular basis to keep any minor problems from turning into something major.
For the best in Crestwood dental care for your entire family please contact the caring staff at Ellis Dental today.