As one of the hygienists at Ellis dental I wanted to respond to the latest news article on flossing.
Water picks have been around since the early 1960’s and over the past 50 years have drifted in and out of popularity.
One of the best things about your bi-yearly dental cleaning is in addition to how wonderful your teeth feel after being professionally cleaned, you also have the security of knowing your teeth are healthy.
If you are a smoker, use smokeless tobacco, drink alcoholic beverages to excess, have a family history of oral cancer or have been diagnosed with the HPV virus, you need to be vigilant about changes within your mouth. Though it is important to note that 25 percent of all oral cancers occur in people who have never smoked and drink infrequently. Often very subtle, many of these changes can be life-threatening and need to be treated as soon as possible. If your dentist sees anything inside your mouth that is of a concern, they will advise you to follow up with your primary care physician as soon as possible. Or if you notice any of the follow symptoms, please contact your doctor right away.
- White, red or a combination of white and red speckled patches in your mouth.
- Mouth, neck or facial sores that appear with no explanation. These sores may bleed without provocation and never seem to fully heal.
- Bleeding inside the mouth that can’t be pinpointed back to a bleeding gum or tooth.
- Lumps, swelling or crusty spots on the lips, gums or inside the mouth itself.
- Feeling as though you have something stuck in the back of the throat.
- Pain when chewing, talking or swallowing.
- Noticing a difference in your bite or the way your dentures fit.
Concerned that something just isn’t right? Don’t wait until your next cleaning to have it checked out. Please call
today and schedule an appointment. Remember: peace of mind is everything.